“Start where you are, use what you have, do what you can”~ Arthur Ashe
Our 2015 season began last Wednesday, with a well-earned 77-60 victory over our neighbors- the Hudsonville Eagles. This meet served not only as a gauge of where we are fitness wise but it also afforded us the opportunity to see how we would respond in a competitive, hostile environment. Although we have LOTS of work to do, our staff could not be more encouraged by the steps we are taking…..to represent our program in the strongest way possible.
Earning points during the event were the following athletes:
1. Shot Put~ Brianna DeSappio finishing first (5) and Katherine Flessner second place with a lifetime PR (3)
2. Discus~ Kendra Albrecht first (5) and Katherine Flessner second (3)
3. High Jump~ Anna Kelley placing first with a new life time PR (5)
4. Pole Vault~ Sara Overbeek first (5)
5. Long Jump~ Rose Russo in second (3)
6. 4×800 Relay~ Bailey Johnson, Sally Hansma, Stormi Samuels & Lauren Vasquez taking first (5)
7. 100 Hurdles~ Taylor Hoop finishing first (5) and Hannah Huizen second (3)
8. 100 Dash~ Taylor Hopp first (5) and Rose Russo second (3)
9. 4×200 Relay~ Hannah Huizen, Rose Russo, Lydia Peters and Taylor Hopp winning (5)
10.1600M~ Bailey Johnson in first with a lifetime PR (5) and Sally Hansma finishing third (1)
11.400M~ Rose Russo finished second (3)
12.300 Hurdles~ Hannah Huizen finished second (3)
13.800M~ Lauren Vasquez finished third (1)
14.200M~ Taylor Hopp finished first (5)
15.3200M~ Bailey Johnson finished second (3)
Scoring in 15 of the 17 events is an impressive feat! What will allow our program to become difficult to defeat, is the ability to place 2 in the top 3 of every non-relay event and is precisely why DEPTH is crucial, as well as the willingness of our athletes to move into another event (one they may not “like” as much) to help our team.
Spring break is upon us and we hope that each athlete enjoys their time away from the structure of their normal school day. That being said, each athlete has a moral responsibility to maintain or even enhance their fitness, regardless if they are stuck in Jenison or visiting Florida, Mexico, Texas, Denmark, etc… Here are the week plans for both sprinters and distance groups….
1. Distance~ spring break
2. Sprints~ SPRING BREAK- SPRINTS
Please make sure that your athlete takes ownership in what we are striving to achieve this season. Continued commitment over spring break will allow them to stay healthy, reach their potential and complete the season with zero regrets. Thank you in advance for your assistance!
Lastly, our second fundraiser for the season is rapidly approaching- our Team Garage Sale! We are in need of assistance in a variety of ways but the two most important are~
* Gathering and collecting gently used items from your home, your relatives, your neighbors etc… Everyone has “crap” and contrary to many, not everyone enjoys putting sales on!
** We are in need of parents and athletes to help set up and work the one day event. A sign-up schedule will be available within the next few days
***Anyone with an affinity or affliction towards garage sales, we would appreciate your knowledge to make the event as successful, efficient and stress free as possible