“Excellence is doing the very best you can, with the gifts God gave you”
Our hope was everyone was able to “escape” over the past week or so….Get away from school. Get away from structure and Stress. Get away from it all and just relax! When we reconnect on Monday, our season officially gets underway! Your potential as a student-athlete within our program has no limits and we are excited to watch each of you compete of the best of your abilities, learn a lot about your resolve and grow as young women. Have fun and represent our program to the best of your abilities~ each day, in all that you do!
MONDAY: PRACTICE FROM 3:15-5:15
* There is a tremendous amount that we need to accomplish today. Veterans, we need you to lead by example and teach what you have been taught throughout the years. You are aware of the chaos and confusion of first meets, please assist in minimizing these issues.
~ Dress warm and in layers
~ Bring spikes if you wear them
~ We need to work on relay exchanges, securing our approaches/steps for field events, hurdler’s need some quality time with their specialty~ There are no shortcuts for this….be diligent, stay focused on the little things, remain patient and be a great teammate.
TUESDAY: HOME MEET vs Caledonia
* Be dressed in your uniform and have sweats on by 3:15. As always, we will meet in our locker room inside the high school
* If you do not yet have a uniform, please grab one on Monday at practice.
* We will head down to the track as one, at approximately 3:30 (depends on weather). We will warm up together and proceed to specialties for further meet prep.
* Here are our team race day expectations~ RACE DAY EXPECTATIONS Please read and show your parents as well. Please be aware of all but pay special attention to what unfolds at the completion of the meet and what your expectations are for both home and away competitions. THIS MAY BE DIFFERENT THAN THE BOYS TEAM!!!
WEDNESDAY: PRACTICE FROM 3:15-4:15ISH
~ After our short workout is completed, the entire program will head over the throws area to support our throwing sisters as they compete against GR. Christian (they do not have a throwing area) so our dual will begin on our turf! This is MANDATORY for all Jenison Women Track and Field members.
~Immediately following the competition, we will have a brief team dinner to celebrate our throwers and fuel up for the big meet the next day. We are requesting the following:
1. Each athlete, please bring $5.00 to help offset the cost of dinner. We are having Subway party subs (3), chocolate milk and whatever else you and your families would be willing to provide. We will take care of plates, Gatorade & water as well.
2. We are taking offers for desserts, easy edibles and whatever else our teen athletes would like to eat. Our roster is close to 60, although you do not have to provide for 60. Thank you in advance for your assistance!
3. Any $$$ that remains from our collection will be put towards healthy snacks for away meets. It’s no secret that proper nutrition plays a huge part of our potential success, especially when some athletes are still working hard at 6:00 and later. If anyone would like to help coordinate “snacks” for meet days, it would be greatly appreciated by our girls (hint, hint)
THURSDAY: MEET @ GR CHRISTIAN
Grand Rapids Christian’s Girls program is traditionally very strong and this season will be no exception. Knowing Coach Jager, he will remind his program of what transpired last spring at our home- a convincing Wildcat victory. That day was a turning point for our program last year because our focus and effort went to a higher level. It was this day when I realized that we could accomplish some pretty special things as a program if we continued to work hard. We have, indeed, continued to grow as a program and your coaches fully anticipate another strong effort against a great opponent.
~Athletes will have early dismissal (2:40)
~A line-up may be available Wednesday, so athletes and families can plan ahead
FRIDAY: PRACTICE FROM 3:15-5:15
~ We will acknowledge PR’s (personal records) and special efforts!
~ We will have our first “Competitor of the Week” ceremony and yes, we will acknowledge a few athletes from the first 3 weeks too!
~ Warm-up….lots of stretching…..hips…core…and more
Families, there are numerous ways that you can assist in making your daughter’s experience a positive and rewarding one. Most importantly, none of it takes much time, $$$ or skill. We are in need of:
1. Volunteers to work concessions during our meets. Yes, I know….stupid set up of working while your child is competing but you can step out and watch your daughter compete. Just come back when they’re done!!!!!
2. Pictures and videos~ Not only for our team video at our banquet or for our Facebook viewing pleasure, great video can be an amazing learning tool for our athletes. If this is “your thing” we can use you!
3. Coordinating future team dinners, snacks for meets, our banquet, etc….”Many hands make light work”
Thank you in advance for your help and for your support as we embark on our competitive season. We are looking forward to a tremendously positive experience for all. Blessings- Coach Schalk